The Explorers of Down Cthulhu
Plotlines and Loose Ends
- Poisoning at Galloway dig. He said “If anything happens tell Miskatonic it was no accident”. We follow up upon our return from the Gorge, and all has been uneventful. But, see talk with Cafore. Galloway gave Rick a sun-symbol medallion, similar to Iluminati symbol, that was found at his dig.
- Clive Expedition:* Galloway does not trust; Clive not a favorite of Rick’s either: “a weasel”; Penhue Foundation funding it-important?; Galloway said Clive’s dig is of an ordinary and known Grand Vizier; but at our return from Gorge, Johnny said they dug in Great Pyramid. See Cafore discusstion.
Penhue joined Carlyle, see Investigators the expedition’s info.
- Relief in Akhenaten’s tomb showes Amun raising Cthulhu from the ocean, then destroying and subjugating the world on his shoulders, so he is certainly Mythos-linked = he is Nyarlathotep? See Cafare discussion: Nephren/Nophru Ka was this usurper of god Amun?
Heart of Amon: now destroyed, in the tomb of Re hotep.. He wants to return via his evil relics and either become 1 with the Dark Pharaoh and Amon or create a triumvirate with himself as the Set-Rahotep.DESTROYED
- Inconsistency: Sons of Re and Nefertiti mentioned tomb of Khmet in context of destroying the heart. Not Rehotep’s tomb.
- Subterrainean complex in Bast valley, what was it, when exactly was it from? 1st possibility Rick thinks of after seeing the relief of what seems to be the destrucstion of civilizations under Azathoth: maybe this place was built/in the end used as a refuge from that destruction. Was Azathoth responsible for the fall of Hyborea/Atlantean age? If so, who/what stopped him from ruling/destroying the world?
Our talk at the Cairo Museum upon our return from Gorge:
- He shows us a tablet fragment ‘and it was then that Nephren Ka came to Egypt’. he says “This is what has confused us, caused so many of these inscriptions to be misread.” He compares that fragment to another “and the priest Nophru Ka led the people to Xois”. First one is surely 3rd Dynasty, but the 2nd is from teh 14th. People assume eash Ka is the same.
He pulls out his masterwork, “the occult history of Egypt”.
Somerfield requests some tea. When he runs out, we take a look at the papers. In there, are incantations as well. REAL SPELLS!! MYTHOS SPELLS!!
Cafore returns. He says they have been confused for each, throwing dates out of wack because of the name confusion. Galloway thinks he is looking for the earlier Nephren, but he is digging at the Nophru sight. They found the Well.
Cafore says: the earlier, Nephren Ka, came at the end of 3rd dynasty. Powerful sorcerer, bringing madness and death to his enemies. Could rip the heart from ones very chest. Came from an ancient city in Arabia called Irem, the City of Pillars. Same mentioned in Al Azif aka Necronomicon. He revived worship of a foul god of an ancient land knows as Stygia! The Black Pharaoh! Eventually Nephren Ka and BP became interchangable in minds of people and he bacame knows as Black Ph. War fought vs kingdom for many years. Sneferu arose finally, and with aid of Isis thwarted him and slew him. All record of him was removed from. But I have found fragments, mentions, mininterpretations, that lead him to understand. Secrets are w/in his book. Eventually will publish it. He takes a few powder sniffs. I believe the BP’s body still contained potent magic. They built a pyramid to contain his body, which collapsed, at Medum. So built another, the Bent Pyramid , which he now lies under and sleeps indefinitely. Digs there have found nothing, so perhaps I am wrong. Also at Dashur is the Red Pyramid, also supposedly built by Sneferu, I beilieve to guard and keep Nephrun Ka from rising from the dead. His followers survived, trying to bring him back. Succeeded during Akhenaten’s time. And 6th dynasty Nitokrcis, queen, failed, her body hidden w/in one of pyramids. With no record at all because prophecy said she could return and open way for Black Pharaoh, aka Nyarlathotep. Cafore has read Al Azif, a copy is here in the library. That prophecy says he will rise fingers and toes after the great good one. No one knows what that means. Followers of him claim 20 centuries after Jesus. That’s now! None would come here, I’m known as the crazy professor. He says he believes all of this, and the Great Old Ones. Claims to have watched the revels and sacrifices of their followers! Via spells. The places vary, only sometimes can he find them. The mummy that disappeard was Natokrix (as we immediately thought). She is the first key. Those he sees at the revels are all kinds of man, as well as likenesses of the old Egyptian gods!
2nd one, Nophru, worshipped the Black Pharaoh. Rick tells all he told the Investigators. I believe he came back in an attempt to bring BP back again. So Rick and this guy both feel Nophru was indeed Nephren. He claims there no way to stop it, it’s written in the stars. Agrees it is better to die attempting to stop it. He feels he can be the mind and us the physical behind the destruction of all of this!!
- What Rick knew, and had told NY: Egyptian Nophru Ka according to Rathbone:
A powerful leader and priest, early member separatist movement in Delta region, later known as 14th dynasty. He and followers worshipped Dark Pharaoh in secret underground temples and schemed against pharaoh aided by DP. Called for secret temples to chant, calling down star spawned monsters to create havoc in Egypt. When Pharaoh sent armies to deal with the menace, the cult would attack the infrastructure in the cities. Aided in all by DP, who had promised a messenger would be sent. Pharaoh Khasekhemre Neferhotep I learned of the plot and sent spies and assassins afar in search of Nefruka. Found hiding in underground temple in western desert known as The Well, a particularly sacred site to the cult. They found the priest in prayer and mortally wounded him, yet his followers countered and tore the assassins apart. With his dying breath Nefruka prophesized (what is unknown). By the time pharaoh learned of Nefruka’s death his body has been wisked away and secretly buried by his followers. All c.1733 BC. They then supposedly travelled to central Africa and G’harne (of the fragments), a ruined city of the Old Ones.
The geography of where they fled does not match, but this sounds similar to the cult kicked out of Egypt in ancient times that then ran to Kenya presumably became the Bloody Tongue.
In our Necronomicon:
“And it was dreamed again of the priest Nefrukha and of the words he spake at his death. How the son would rise to claim the title, and the son would rule the world in the name of the father, and the son would then revenge the father’s murder, and the son would call the beast that is worshiped, and the sands would drink the blood of the seed of the Pharaoh and after this manner did Nefruka prophecize.”
Son and father as Brady said; is the Beast Cthulhu?